Friday, September 17, 2010

Remembering those left behind..

Adoption is an amazing miracle. It is beautiful and it is hard. But through it all, it really is a miracle. I'm so extremely blessed to have been touched by the miracle of adoption. To see and experience your family growing from across the world is amazing. To have Sarah and Chayah home now, after waiting, praying, and dreaming about them being home for so long is amazing. There are really no other words to describe just how awesome it is. And it is all by the grace of God that He showed us His plan for our lives and the lives of these two little girls from the other side of the world and gave us the courage to follow Him even when it seemed impossible.

our family of seven..
most recent picture: from my graduation, May '10
(not pictured are my older sisters' husbands)


One thing that completely amazes me about adoption is that before you step out and are touched by it, you don't realize everything that you are missing. There are 143 million orphans around the world right now. They don't have moms, they don't have dads, they are orphans. So many of these children are available for adoption. So many could be adopted into a forever family of their own, if only the family would step forward and have the courage to press on even when things got tough to bring a new little person home and love them forever.

China. Ethiopia. Uganda. Russia. Haiti. Ghana. Ukraine. Korea. United States.
These are just a few of the many countries that have adoption programs. And many have waiting child programs.

"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They are easier to ignore before you see their faces. It is easier to pretend their not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."
-From the book Radical by David Platt

Right now, one of Sarah and Chayah's friends is waiting to be placed with a family. She is from their same orphanage. She is now almost five years old. She came to the orphanage when she was baby. I met her in December 2006 when we traveled to bring Sarah home. She was a baby then. My parents met her again in January 2009 when they traveled to bring Chayah home. She was about 3 years old then and wanted to be held. She is now almost 5, and is an absolutely gorgeous little girl. She is described as being very smart, talkative, and happy."You are not told that children of the orphanage are all coming home with you. That these kids with their wan smiles and growling stomachs are going to follow you across the ocean, move into your house, and inhabit your dreams."
-From the book China Ghosts by Jeff Gammage

She is in the front, middle.. with the pink pants, orange shirt, and cute little yellow shoes :)

She is on the shared list. She has been on for a long time and no one has stepped forward to call her their own.

This beautiful little girl and literally thousands more little girls and boys are waiting around the world today.. I checked China's shared list to see how many more are waiting today and there are 2088 other children just on China's shared list alone. They don't have mom's or dad's. They live in orphanages. They are orphans. Today, I'm remembering those that are left behind. Those children who have not yet been touched by the miracle of adoption. What will you do to show those children hope?

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' . . . 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' "
Matthew 25:35-36;40

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Thats amazing thing to do for someone let alone twins !! your family is amazing..:)

Chrissy said...

I want Xing Xing. She is so adorable! Love her. <3